Cruise Ships to Serve as Floating Hotels for Olympic Games in Rio


The Norwegian Getaway will dock at the Pier Maua in Rio from August 4 to the 22nd. It will provide an additional 2,000 hotel rooms for the city. The cruise ship will accommodate corporate sponsors, the Rio Host Committee, members of the International Olympic Federation, and the National Organizing Committees. This will allow the corporate sponsors to attend business meetings and other hospitality functions. The Norwegian Getaway is being chartered by Landry & Kling, and the 40 day charter of the 4,000 passenger cruise ship is the largest ship charter ever by the company.  The company once chartered five cruise ships for Super Bowl XXXIX in Jacksonville in 2005.

Close to 90% of the ship will be reserved for Corporate Sponsors and others members of the Olympic Family. The other 10% of the cabins have been sold to civilians with the help of a Brazilian tour operator.

The second cruise ship being used as a floating hotel for the Rio Olympic Games is from SilverSea Cruises, Silver Cloud. This 296 passenger ship will accommodate members of the United States men’s and women’s basketball teams.

This isn’t the first time that the basketball teams have stayed on a cruise ship during the Olympics. During the 2004 games in Athens, the teams stayed on the Queen Mary 2.

Silver Cloud will anchor offshore and provide the needed security that the teams need. The men’s basketball team stopped staying in the Olympic Village many years ago, due to the popularity of the Dream Team in the 1992 Olympics.

Staying on the ship will allow the team to spend as much time as possible with family and friends and to properly prepare for the games.