Carnival Pride


Year built: 2002

Speed: 24 kn

Passengers: 2,124

Crew: 930

89k tons

12 decks


The Carnival Pride currently sails 7 night Eastern Caribbean cruises from Baltimore, Maryland.


On May 16, 2009, the company’s internal report mentioned a fire accident in the battery room. The fire was quickly extinguished by the crew, using a total of 35 dry extinguishers. The incident occurred while the vessel was en-rote from the Bahamas to home port of Baltimore, Maryland.

On November 5, 2011, a small fire broke out in the “Circle C.” The fire was caused by a short circuit in one of the TVs in the room. Two of the crew quickly put the fire out using fire extinguishers. The incident occurred just a few minutes after the kids lounge was flooded with sea water.

On September 17, 2015, the Carnival cruise vessel experienced an engine room fire, affecting one of its marine diesel engines. Unofficially, a crew described the incident as “explosion” of the engine. According to the shipowner’s official statement, the incident was caused by a “mechanical failure” of one of the diesel generators, and the smoke activated the fire suppression system. The CCTV camera footage showed there was only smoke in the engine room, not an actual fire. No injuries were reported. The ship didn’t lose power, and its propulsion was not affected. The accident occurred at 1:15 AM, while the ship was en-route from Grand Turk to the Bahamas on a 7 day Caribbean cruise itinerary round trip from home port of  Baltimore, Maryland.

On October 28, 2015, the ship run aground on a sandbar while performing a maneuver for docking in call port King’s Wharf, Bermuda. It was assisted by two tugboats, and when freed it proceeded to complete the procedure. The incident occurred on day 3 of a 5-day round trip Bermuda cruise out of home port Baltimore, Maryland. On the following 8day Baltimore to Bahamas cruise itinerary, there were some problems with the ship’s water supply system. Incidents with the water running brown in cabins were reported and also bad vibrations and lower cruising speeds.

On May 8, 2016, the CBS news media reported that while docking in home port of Baltimore Maryland, the vessel collided with the pier. It contacted a pier gangway, causing it to fall and collapse over 3 parked cars. No injuries were reported. At the time of the incident the gangway was not in use. The 3 affected vehicles belonged to port employees, and were empty. The ship sustained only minor damage and continued its itinerary program as scheduled.

On February 4, 2007, the cruise vessel experienced problems with its propulsion system and steering system. The incident resulted in a highly reduced cruising speed. The issue also resulted in a nearly full day late arrival in home port of Long Beach, California. The next cruise itinerary was changed from 7 days to 6 day.

On March 30, 2011, at 5:45 PM, while docked in Port Canaveral, Florida for a day long call port stay, the ship experienced heavy winds exceeding 80 mph. Results were 8 of the mooring lines parted. This put all the strain on the remaining mooring lines attached to capstans. Overwhelmed, capstan brakes failed on most lines causing the vessel to drift off the pier. The officer in charge utilized  all propulsion units, plus the starboard anchor in order to control the ship. Three tug boats were also assisting until the heavy wind subsided. The passenger gangway was damaged. No injuries or pollution were reported. The incident occurred on a 7 day Florida Bahamas cruise from home port of Baltimore, Maryland.

On November 5, 2011, the kids club lounge “Circle C” was flooded after high waves crashed over the ship’s bow, breaking one of the windows in the room. The sea water entered and flooded the kids play area. All the TVs and other electrical equipment were doused.

On March 30, 2014, while on a 7 day Bahamas cruise from Baltimore, the ship experienced an electrical transformer malfunction. This mechanical issue resulted in a reduced cruising speed. Itinerary changes were done to next 3 itineraries. The call port of Freeport, Bahamas, was skipped as all repairs took place on the ship during those cruises. As compensation, all March 30 passengers were given $50 in on board credit plus 25% future Carnival cruise booking discount. Passengers on the other two sailings were compensated with 25% future Carnival cruise discount. Full refunds were offered for those willing to cancel their bookings.

On July 4, 2007, a 56-year-old male passenger was reported missing and presumed fallen overboard. The ship was on a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise itinerary from home port of Long Beach, California, with call ports Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo. The man was last seen at 1:00 AM. The conducted search and rescue found the body on July 10, off Puerto Vallarta Mexico coast.

On May 1, 2010, a 71-year-old female passenger drowned during a sponsored Carnival shore excursion in Freeport. The accident occurred at Deadman’s Reef. The woman was participating in a 2 1/2 hours snorkeling excursion together with her husband and other tourists. Investigation showed the excursion was pretty overcrowded, including tourists from another excursion. The woman was noticed by another passenger to be floating in the water. The tour boat’s crew pulled her out not breathing and unconscious. The boat’s crew was not CPR-trained, so other passengers tried to revive her. The boat had no working radio or any other communication equipment. After 1 hour, a passenger got cellphone reception and called the ship. The CPR was done 1 1/2 hours later. The woman was transported to a local hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

On April 4, 2012, a 17-year-old male passenger died after an incident on a sponsored Carnival shore excursion in Grand Turk. Departure was delayed by 1 hour as the ship’s medical staff was ashore. The boy was traveling together with his family. He was diving with a group of 16 other cruise passengers and 2 local instructors. The boy was first treated at a local hospital, then flown to a US hospital where he died.

On April 19, 2012, a female passenger died on the ship while it was docked in Half Moon Cay. The woman just returned from an organized Carnival Cruise Lines shore excursion when she suddenly collapsed suffering a heart attack. The ship’s lifeguards performed CPR and carried her to the on board hospital via stretcher.

Carnival ShipsPJ Morrissey