Carnival Triumph (Sunrise)



Year built: 1999

Speed: 23 kn

Passengers: 2,758

Crew: 1,100

102k tons

14 decks


The Carnival Triumph currently sails 4 and 5 night cruises to the Western Caribbean from New Orleans, Louisiana. On May 29, 2019, Triumph will sail her first cruise under her new name from Norfolk, Virginia, to the Eastern Caribbean and Bahamas for 4 to 8 nights.


On February 10, 2013, while the ship was on a 4-day Mexico cruise itinerary from Galveston Texas, a fire broke out affecting the aft engine room. The vessel was left motionless in the Gulf of Mexico off the Yucatan Peninsula. The engine fire was soon extinguished. No injuries among the 3,143 passengers and the 1,086 crew were reported. The power loss was a result of the activation of the automatic fire suppression system. Other unfortunate results were in-operational air conditioning, elevators, all toilets, the kitchen equipment, and the fresh-water system. On Monday the crew restored the freshwater system. The auxiliary power was also restored for the basic hotel functions. Power was restored to some elevators and in the Lido buffet. Carnival Cruise Lines’ first decision was to tow the ship to Progreso as the closest port. From there passengers could fly back to US. Two tugboats were sent to assist the ship, 1 from Mexico and 1 from Mobile, Alabama. Additional crew and staff were sent to the ship. Fleet mate Carnival Legend helped with providing food and supplies. Unfortunately, due to strong currents, the ship drifted 90 miles north. This was the reason for the line to decide to tow the ship to Mobile instead of Progreso. Over 900 of the passengers were traveling without their passports, which was another reason for the Alabama choice. From Mobile, all passengers were transported via buses to New Orleans, Louisiana. In NOLA, a total of 1500 hotel rooms were reserved for them by Carnival Corp. On Wednesday, a USCG helicopter delivered an electrical generator with cables for additional power. At 12:40 PM EST, US Customs and Border Patrol personnel boarded the vessel to speed up the passenger disembarkation process when the ship arrived in Mobile, Alabama. Carnival Cruise Lines compensated all passengers with a full refund, plus covered all transfers and transportation expenses. Passengers also received a future Carnival cruise credit equal to the amount paid for the accident, plus extra $500 in cash per person, plus reimbursement of all on board purchases. Passengers with cars parked at Galveston port were transported via buses from Houston airport to Galveston. The Galveston port issued refunds or free parking vouchers on future Carnival cruises to passengers on the accident voyage. On all cancelled sailings after the fire accident, the line offered a 25% off booking discount for customers switching to another 3-5 day itinerary or a 15% booking discount for longer 6+ days itineraries. Also added were a full refund, nonrefundable transportation costs, prepaid Carnival cruise shore excursions, tips/gratuities, the Government taxes and port fees. With a number of cancelled cruises, the ship entered dry-dock for repairs and extensive sanitation, and was out of service through mid June, 2013. Cruise industry analysis showed the Carnival Triumph fire accident cost the Carnival Corporation $1 per share. In money, this was nearly $80 million.

On April 3, 2013, while the ship was docked in Mobile, Alabama, for repairs, strong winds exceeding 65 mph caused the mooring lines to break loose. Additionally, four of the bollards on the pier broke apart. The ship drifted all the way over the channel and ran into a sand-dredge ship positioned on the other side. The mooring accident resulted in a 20 ft long gash in the ship’s stern and several hull plates were punctured. Assisted by tug-boats, the ship was moved back to Mobile Cruise Terminal. No injuries were reported among all the 200 contract workers and 600 crew on the ship. However, a shipyard worker died and another one was seriously injured when the end section of the pier collapsed in the water. Two more scheduled voyages were cancelled due to the mooring incident. The vessel entered service on June 13. All booked passengers received as compensation a full refund, reimbursement for all their travel expenses, plus a 25% future Carnival cruise booking discount. Total cost of this accident was estimated at US$2.9 million. Of those, $2.7 million were on the ship alone. On May 8, 2013, the ship left Mobile under own power for Freeport where it entered into dry dock for final repairs and Fun Ship 2.0 refurbishment.

On March 29, 2012, an US judge ordered the ship to be seized in Galveston, Texas. The warrant order was based on a $10 million lawsuit filed in Galveston federal court. The lawsuit was filed by relatives of a German passenger who died in the Concordia cruise ship disaster. The warrant ordering the seizure in port stated the court found the conditions for an attachment of defendants’ joint and collective property within the Galveston district exist upon a maritime claim. The ship was allowed to disembark all the passengers and cargo. The vessel moved between berths until a hearing was scheduled.

On February 1, 2014, the ship experienced power loss for 8 minutes while en-route to Galveston from Cozumel. The ship returned in Galveston according to schedule. The line’s official statement said the power outage was caused by “electrical breaker failure”. The vessel’s new emergency generator came on and delivered power until needed. All hotel services and the propulsion system functioned normally.

On March 17, 2015, a 54-year-old male passenger jumped overboard while the ship was on 4-day Mexico cruise from Galveston, Texas, and sailing near Progreso, Mexico. The ship’s camera footage review confirmed the jump. The man was pronounced missing. The ship altered its course and conducted search and rescue operation together with local authorities. On March 18, the Mexican authorities found what was believed to be the man’s body. The body was later sent  to the US for identification.

On March 18, 2016, a 56-year-old male passenger died from drowning in Cozumel . The man was accompanied by his wife. They were visiting the Sky Reef’s south side beach at 12:20 PM. The man decided to swim. Later his body was spotted by the tour guide floating behind a buoy.

Carnival ShipsPJ Morrissey