Oasis of the Seas



Year built: 2009

Speed: 23 kn

Passengers: 6,296

Crew: 2,165

225k tons

18 decks


The Oasis of the Seas currently sails 7 night Western Caribbean cruises from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. In November she will re-position to Port Canaveral, Florida, after being replaced by the Harmony of the Seas in Ft. Lauderdale.


On September 25, 2008, while the ship was under construction in Finland, an on board fire broke out. Nearly 1,500 construction workers were on the ship when the fire accident happened, and had to be evacuated. The cause for the incident were welding works on deck 9. The shipbuilding yard’s fire fighters put it out quickly before it could spread and cause extensive damages. No casualties were reported.

On December 9, 2009, while entering into St Thomas port, the ship churned up silt from the bay’s bottom. Also, technical problems with the gangway, caused over 1 hour delayed disembarkation, which lead to shore excursions and tours setbacks.

On May 25, 2010, USCG assets searched for a 45-year-old male crew who went overboard. The man was from Saint Vincent and was reported missing as the ship was en-route to St Thomas from Nassau, Bahamas. The cruise itinerary course was changed for a search and rescue, but the body was never found.

On January 29, 2011, a male Filipino crew died in Miami after suffering a fatal head injury. The accident happened during fire drill on the ship conducted in Cozumel.

On September 12, 2015, a male passenger died from a heart attack while running on the ship’s jogging track. The accident occurred while the ship was en-route to call port of Charlotte Amalie , operating on a 7-day Bahamas and Eastern Caribbean cruise itinerary from home port of Port Everglades with call ports of Nassau, St Thomas and St Maarten.

On November 5, 2015, a 35-year-old male passenger intentionally jumped from his cabin onto a life raft, then slipped, fell overboard and disappeared into the ocean. The man, Bernardo Albaz, was traveling together with his partner Eric as a legally married gay couple. Reportedly, prior to his jump the man had consumed alcohol because he was upset by anti-gay remarks made by some of the ship’s staff at the Solarium Bar. The incident occurred at 1:00 AM, while the ship was in the waters between Puerto Rico and the Bahamas on a 7-day Eastern Caribbean itinerary from Port Everglades, with call ports of Nassau and Charlotte Amalie. The strangest thing about this accident is that it was filmed by a female passenger and later posted on YouTube. The video shows a frightened man holding on to a port side lifeboat’s support ledge and a male crew reaching and trying to grab his hand. Then suddenly, he lost grip and fell into the sea. The Oasis ship turned around and started a search operation with 2 of its rescue boats. The USCG was called for assistance, nearby vessels were also alerted. The USCG dispatched from Clearwater, Florida, a long-range aircraft C-130 and a helicopter. They arrived at 6:00 AM, but failed to find the body. Weather conditions were reportedly challenging and hampering the efforts.

On January 27, 2011, while the ship was docked in Cozumel, Mexico, a fire drill was conducted. During the drill, one of the compressed oxygen tanks at the staging area cracked. Two crew members were injured, the chief security officer broke a leg, while a Filipino staff was hit in the head and sent to a hospital for surgery. Due to the man’s critical condition, he was flown to Miami, where he died on Jan 29.

On December 8, 2014, upon leaving home port of Fort Lauderdale the ship quickly headed back to port due to a medical emergency. A male passenger sustained injury and was medevaced. The ship sailed again, but soon quickly turned around for a second time. The second medevaced passenger suffered heart attack and died. The second time the ship entered the port and docked.

On January 3, 2015, a 4-year-old kid was miraculously saved from near drowning by other passengers. The kid was revived on board and transported to Broward Health Medical Center. The ship had just left home port of Port Everglades, but promptly returned for the medical emergency. The young passenger remained underwater in the wave pool  for 5 to 10 minutes.

On January 8, 2015, while the ship was en-route to call port Cozumel Mexico, a male passenger from the Oasis ship went overboard. He was later spotted floating in open sea by staff of the Disney Magic. The Disney Magic stopped, lowered a rescue boat and saved him. When the Disney Magic, docked in Cozumel, the Royal Caribbean passenger was transferred to a private clinic.

On August 30, 2015, due to a medical emergency, the ship diverted from its itinerary course and medevaced a male passenger to a Grand Cayman hospital. The incident occurred on a 7-day round trip Western Caribbean cruise itinerary from home port of Port Everglades, Florida, with call ports Labadee Haiti, Falmouth, Jamaica, and Cozumel, Mexico.

RCI ShipsPJ Morrissey